4 Sep 2015

Apple Doesn’t Make a Single Great Laptop

I use a 15-inch Macbook Pro with Retina Display, which is too heavy to put on my lap and use. I tried using the 12-inch Macbook, which is very light, but I had to stick both legs together to prevent it from falling into the gap between them when I’m sitting normally. The 13-inch Macbook Pro is the best choice, having a manageable weight, but still requires me to sit with my legs uncomfortably together.
So, the conclusion is that Apple makes no good laptop, in the sense of a device to be used on your lap.

The ideal laptop for me is the new Macbook, scaled up to 15 inches [1]. That would be 33% lighter than the existing 15-inch laptop, so it wouldn’t be too heavy on my lap. At the same time, it would be wide enough that it doesn’t fall into the gap between my legs, so I won’t have to sit with my legs pressed together. The best of both worlds.

The second best option would be the 13-inch Macbook Air, scaled up to 15 inches [2]. This would still be 15% lighter than the existing 15-inch laptop.

I wish Apple made at least one laptop that’s great for me.


[1] But with more ports, and the ability to smoothly drive an external 4k monitor at 60FPS.

[2] And with a Retina display.

No comments:

Post a Comment