27 May 2007

Horizontal Interfaces

Do you scroll vertically much more often than horizontally? If so, you need more vertical space. And widescreen monitors make the problem worse. To make efficient use of vertical space, move the taskbar or dock to the side of the screen. Ditto for toolbars when possible. I put my website's navigation bar on the side rather than across the top for the same reason.

Unfortunately, many applications won't let you put toolbars on the side of the screen. I wish that changes. And I want a window system that puts window decorations -- the title bar, close, resize and minimize buttons -- and menus, toolbars, the tab bar, and the status bar on the side of the window or desktop rather than the top. The top and bottom of windows and the desktop should contain nothing, except perhaps the window border. I wish someone implemented this...

No comments:

Post a Comment